Thursday, February 14, 2008

What a Night!!!

As most of you might already know we moved to Traverse Mountain in September. we have enjoyed living here but after what occured last night, It makes me really miss my old neighborhood! It all started around 3:40 when I waiting at the bus stop. It had just started snowing about a half hour earlier. It was instanly horrible. The worse Ive seen! the wind was litterly pushing my car and I couldnt see any of the other cars around me. I was sitting there in hopes that my kids left the school and were almost home before it turned Ugly. Around 4:00 I called the schools and was notified the busses left and were in route for home, they were just driving slowly and cautiously. At about 4:45 the calls started rolling and all the worried parents were notified that most of the busses had returned due to the blizzard like conditions and that the other busses were to be returning to the school. At this point we were also notified that SR-92 was shut down and no one was able to get off or On Traverse Mountain. At 5:30 after being told by the school that our childrens bus was still not back and that they were attempting to get in contact with the bus driver, I emailed Channel 4 news asking for them to please report on the kids that were stranded and who's parents were unable to get them due to the road closures. Channel 4 recieved my email and reported it on the news. They called the school and the school told them that all the Kids were accounted for and that they were all having popcorn and playing games. They were laughing saying what a fun time these kids were having. This upset me because just minutes earlier I confirmed 3 busses were still stranded somewhere out in the storm. At about 6:15 I recieved a call from Oaklee (One of the kids on the bus let her use their cell phone) It was very Chaotic in the background but I was able to comfort her to some degree. (She was extremly upset) As some of you may know Oaklee has been having a very difficult time with the move and has re-visited a very serious fear of the weather (wind, snow, ligthening) because the new area we live in has a lot of extremes. Oaklee has been working with the school psychologist because she has not wanted to go to school and says she is ill because of it. So at this point I am thinking Oh my goodness, Poor Oaklee, this is going to traumatize her and make her regress. I was hysterical and was feeling so very helpless. All I could do is pray that they would be comforted and know that they will be okay. I wanted to know what was going on, Why couldnt they atleast get back to the school. For the next sevral hours the only information that we heard was that the busses were trying to get back to the school . Finally the news became aware that there were still 2 busses left out in the storm which I think helped make the police and U-dot finally get involved. At about 10:10 we were informed that our kids finally made it back to the school. What a relief to know that atleast they were somewhere warm and safe with their teachers. I was able to talk to each of the kids and tell them how much I loved them. Luckily the school psycologist was still stranded at the school and he was able to talk to Oaklee imediatly after her teacher helped her off the bus. The kids said they were being fed and that there were lots of blankets and sleeping bags! Around this time a Ward member called us and said that they were going to attempt a back road and that if and when they get there, they would bring my kids back. I was very thankful, So I waited and waited and waited. At about 12:30 I talked to his wife and she told me he had just barley made it to the school and that they were peobley going to just stay the night at the school. I was fine with this because I knew they were safe now and that they would be okay! 20 minutes later she called and said that someone told him a different route to take to get home and that so they were going to attempt it! At 2:00 a.m in the morning my terribley frightned and exausted kids walked in the front door! What a relief! I was so very thankfull that they made it home safe! Never before have I experienced losing contact with the ones I love and care about so much! It was horrible! I hope that some time in the near future we will not have to drive by 2 other (closer) schools just to get to ours. I hope that they will start to build the one here on Traverse Mountain which is planned to start within the next 3 years. I am so appreciative of all the Teachers and Members of the Community that helped to get food, blankets and other supplies to the kids! Here is a link to one of many videos about the kids school Ridgeline and the crisis that occured.
http://www.kutv.com/mediacenter/videoplayer/dayportPlayer.aspx?articleIds=33239@kutv.dayport.com&categoryId=5&loadPlaylist=true&contractId=6&articleID=33239

5 comments:

The Laidlaws said...

Oh my goodness, how scary...you sounded like you handled it so well, I probably would have been crying hysterically all night and calling people and screaming at them! *L* I'm so glad everyone was ok!

Stacy said...

I can't believe the weather. We had some other friends have similar experiences - although not as bad as yours. I can only imagine how stressed I would be just waiting for my kids to be home safe and sound.

I was just imagining how the bus driver must have been feeling. On a bus with all those kids for all those many hours. Anxiety!!

Happy Dad said...

I am glad you are all ok and home safe. How is oaklee doing? I actually cried for you. I know how worried oakley gets and how worried I'd be if I were you. What a story you'll have.

Stacy said...

Hey, I tagged you on my blog - just thought it might be fun! Check it out: http://stacysbackdoor.blogspot.com/

Karen said...

ok girlie it's good to see you in the blogging world! Now you need to post more! =)