Thursday, November 6, 2008

Oh the weather outside is frightful...



Okay, so I love the snow...but only on certain terms!

I love how cozy it is to be inside a nice warm house looking out the window at the beautiful snowflakes while the fireplace is on and Christmas music is playing. Which obviously means that snow should not be allowed until after Thanksgiving! Duh! Also..Snow should never fall when I have somewhere to go! One of the biggest reasons snow and I have such a love/hate relationship is because I am terribly afraid of driving in the snow! As you all know...last winter was horrible, and we didn't have a 4x4 back then, so I was always having a hard time getting around in the snow! Not to mention last February when the kids were stranded on the bus for 6 1/2 hours in that horrible storm and they didn't get home till 2 a.m and that was only thanks to our neighbors that had a 4x4!

I promise there is a point to my rambling! lol

Anyways so obviously we bought a truck for the purpose of feeling safer when we drive in the snow and to feel confident that we can get up and down the hills that are up here without getting stuck!
Well yesterday morning when I awoke to see that the snow wasn't playing on my terms, I have to admit, I was a little excited to drive the kids! In fact I went around and picked up a few of the neighbor kids, after all we were in a nice big truck! What could go wrong??? LOL



So I drive all the kids down to the bus stop which is quite a ways a way(the school district claims that the buses can't make it up the hills) I'm feeling great because I'm passing all these poor people that are getting stuck and sliding off the road.

Anyways, I get to where the bus stop is, Which is a street that is a little hill. Usually the cars will go up the hill turn around and line up down the hill to let out their kids. So again I'm thinking that I'm on top of the world because I got this big safe truck and nothing could ever go wrong!

Well I was wrong!!!!

I drove up the hill just fine, turned around and was coming down the hill very slowly and when about half way down the hill I tried to stop and realized I wasn't stopping! Yep I slid right down into the next car which pushed her right into the car in front of her!

Aughhh!

So luckily the guys car that I pushed the lady into, didn't get damaged at all, and the car that I hit looked like it got a pretty good dent in it's front bumper because of hitting the guy's tow hitch, but it didn't look like she got much damage in the back . I think because our truck was so high up, but I haven't heard from her yet so who knows there could be more then I'm thinking! She was very sweet and said that the same thing happened to her and that she almost hit the guy in front of her anyways. I gave her my number and told her that we would rather pay cash to have her car fixed but that we of course had insurance too. She acted like it wasn't a big deal, but because my truck was kissing her tail end, I couldn't see a lot of our truck. From what I could see of it, it didn't look like it had been touched.

So I drive home to find Mike outside plowing the driveway and I see him looking intensely at the front end of the truck with this, What the heck, look on his face! I jumped out and sure enough the chrome on the bumper was messed up! Stupid Chrome! Luckily for us it wasn't a lot of damage. Infact a new bumper is only about $350.00 without installation! Let's just hope that the other lady's damage is small too!

Anyways...it totally ruined my day! I am so mad! I had a feeling to drop them off at the bottom of the hill where it was flat and I ignored it! Dang it!

Well lesson learned!

I called my Dad to tell him what happened and he gave no support and chewed me out for driving it! I was like, okay is that sexist or what!

AS IF MEN CAN JUST AUTOMATICALLY DRIVE A TRUCK BETTER THEN A WOMEN!

Luckily, mike LET me drive OUR truck again an hour later to take Ireland down to challenger! Boy was it a mess down there, cars slid of everywhere and a ton of cars that couldn't make it up the little hill to the school. I was again so excited to have 4x4 and to not have problems getting up the hill!

I guess winter is closer than we think! I just hope it's not as bad as last year!Hopefully in the future I don't get into any more fender benders! Which by the way, the last time I was in an accident, I was 17! Bummer huh?

5 comments:

Stacy said...

So sorry you wrecked the truck. Good thing the damage wasn't that bad. This is one thing I do not miss about living in Utah. I enjoy sunshine almost every day!

Jeila and Jason said...

I totally agree with you: I love how cold and snowy it is outside, when I'm warm and cozy inside! I love it! (sorry to hear about your truck!)

danielle said...

Wow! What a story, i can totally sympathize though i hate to drive in the snow. it's the scariest feeling when you are sliding that out of control feeling. Glad no one was hurt. You get a ton of snow up on your little mountain C: Hope it all works out ok!!

Anonymous said...

yikes.. it really was a bad morning! I am glad you are OK! I am totally not ready for the winter to come!! We should get together sometime and catch up! :)

parisacampbell said...

You are so funny! I don't like driving in the snow either and I agree having a truck makes it a lot easier...but Zac has the same thinking as Uncle Larry. Women can't drive trucks. Ya ya!